Note: The Victorian Planning Authority (VPA) and Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) are currently updating the Guidelines for Precinct Structure Planning in Melbourne’s Greenfields with the aim to improve liveability in greenfield communities. Once finalised, the updated Guidelines will replace the previous iteration. You can learn more here.
PSP Guidelines (2009, revised 2013)
The Precinct Structure Planning Guidelines provide guidance on the integrated planning of new urban areas in greenfield locations. The guidelines outline a step-by-step approach to preparation of Precinct Structure Plans (PSP), and are an important resource for State Government agencies, local councils, consultants, developers and land owners. The Precinct Structure Planning Guidelines comprise two parts and include a number of supplementary PSP notes that provide additional guidance on key topics.
The guidelines are currently under review, and it is expected they will be expanded to include guidance on preparation of structure plans in urban renewal and regional areas.
To download a current copy of the Precinct Structure Planning Guidelines (2013), refer to the following:
- Part One – Overview of Growth Area Planning (PDF) (9MB)
- Part Two – Preparing the Precinct Structure Plan (PDF) (12MB)
- PSP Notes – Contents of a Precinct Structure Plan (PDF) (2MB)
- PSP Notes – Engaging the Public and Private Sectors (PDF) (1MB)
- PSP Notes – Biodiversity Management (PDF) (1MB)
- PSP Notes – Cultural Heritage Management (PDF) (3MB)
- PSP Notes – Our Roads: Connecting People (PDF) (6MB)
- PSP Notes – Integrated Water Management (PDF) (1MB)
- PSP Notes – Non Government Schools (PDF) (1MB)
- PSP Guidelines Launch presentation (PowerPoint) – 7 October 2009 (17MB)