- Victoria’s population is growing rapidly, at the rate of around 100,000 people a year. We’re anticipating a population of 10 million by 2051 – with Melbourne itself to grow from 4.6 million to almost eight million people.
- As we also know, Melbourne has been named the world’s most liveable city for the sixth year in a row by the well-respected Economist
- In planning for our future, it is essential that we strike the right balance between growth and maintaining our precious liveability.
- Plan Melbourne sets a target for 70% of new housing to be built in established suburbs, but the good design of new suburbs will remain important.
- This growth needs to be encouraged in the right places and the VPA is involved in many precincts across Melbourne that will help to accommodate this growth.
- From the middle suburbs to urban renewal precincts in the inner city and our regions the VPA is helping accommodate growth in the right places, at the right time and with the right infrastructure.
- Read more about the VPA’s urban renewal, greenfields and regional work program.
- Ensuring job and business growth is more evenly spread across all parts of Melbourne and Victoria also remains a challenge.
Subscribe to receive our newsletter and regular updates on projects