About the Program
The Streamlining for Growth Program is funded by the Victorian State Government and managed by the Victorian Planning Authority (VPA). It aims to provide support and capacity building for councils in regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne. Through the provision of targeted funding and staff resources, including development facilitation officers, the program assists to unblock delays in the strategic planning system and speed up the delivery of projects that provide employment growth and/or increased housing choice, diversity and affordability.
The program was developed and administered by the VPA for the 2016/17 financial year, and on 1 February 2017 the Treasurer, Tim Pallas, announced that the Victorian Government was extended the program for a further three years. This will bring the total investment in the program to $24 million over four years. Find out more here.
Aims of the program
- build council capacity through grants and assistance
- ensure a land supply pipeline to facilitate regional growth
- implement Regional Growth Plans
- undertake master planning for strategic sites
- streamline post-PSP subdivision approvals processes and provide strategic planning backlog support in greenfield growth areas
- provide strategic planning support for Councils in established areas, to clear backlogs that help unlock brownfield and strategic development sites
Interactive Funding Map 2016-present
This interactive map shows all SFG funded projects since 2016. Further instructions for using the interactive features are available below:
Growth Area Council Health Check
The Growth Area Health Check is a highly innovative project which has been undertaken by the seven Melbourne metropolitan Growth Area Councils in partnership with the Victorian Planning Authority (VPA), and Mesh Planning as part of the Streamlining for Growth (SFG) program.
To read more on the Growth Area Council Health check, please read the following documents:
- Streamlining for Growth Program 2018-19 – Growth Area Council Health Check
- Streamlining for Growth Program 2018-19 – Growth Area Council Health Check – appendices
Streamlining for Growth ACIL ALLEN report – July 2019
The VPA engaged highly respected economics and policy consultants ACIL Allen to undertake an assessment of the SFG program to ensure it was providing value to the state.
You can view a press release about the report here.
You can view the report here.
2019/20 Funding announcements
We are very pleased to be able to continue working with our local government colleagues to open up sites for housing and jobs.
The projects approved for 2019/20 funding were announced on Friday 13 August 2019, with $4.7 million in funding being allocated to projects across Victoria.
See the Streamlining Projects Table for a list of projects funded through this round.
2018/19 Funding program
Click here to view the funding program from 2018/19.
2017/18 Funding program
Click here to view the funding program from 2017/18.
2016/17 Funding report
Please click here to view of 2016/17 Program Report (as shown below).