2022-2023 Grant Program is Closed!
The application period for the 2022-2023 Streamlining for Growth grants program for local councils is closed.
Councils will be notified of their application(s) outcome upon completion of the application assessment period, which is anticipated for September – October 2022.
The State Government has allocated $3.15 million for Streamlining for Growth council grants in 2022-2023 year across three funding streams:
- Metropolitan Melbourne
- Regional Victoria
- Better Regulation and Streamlining Processes (Metropolitan and Regional Areas)
Applications will be assessed in accordance with the Streamlining for Growth Application Assessment Framework and Criteria.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions to find out more.
The Streamlining for Growth Program (SfG Program) was established in 2016. The Program aims to facilitate faster (and more cost-effective) permit ready delivery of employment and residential land across Victoria.
The SfG Program focuses on projects that unlock and accelerate the delivery of at-scale, permit-ready employment, and residential land in areas subject to population growth pressures and/or experiencing shortages of land for housing or jobs. It aligns with VPA’s core function as the State Government’s lead agency for delivering planning and infrastructure coordination solutions in designated areas across Victoria.
Regional councils may also wish to consider how their preparations for the 2026 Commonwealth Games could align with the SfG selection criteria such as the development of strategic precincts or sites.
The SfG Program and operates to:
- Support economic growth by delivering, unblocking, or accelerating strategic planning, statutory planning, infrastructure coordination and related projects.
- Accelerate the delivery of at-scale zoned and permit ready employment and residential land
- Simplify, streamline, and accelerate post VPA strategic planning (including PSPs) approvals and infrastructure coordination processes.
- Increase housing supply, choice, and affordability
- Build capability and capacity in councils via delivering red tape reduction and ongoing and systemic improvements to performance and outputs
The SfG Program is delivered in strong partnership with local government through two mechanisms:
- Council Grants projects – Typically Council-led projects funded predominantly by direct cash grants, and sometimes assisted by VPA staff in an advisory or facilitatory capacity (at Council’s request and VPA’s approval).
- VPA-led projects – Typically VPA-led projects that support delivery of housing and jobs via strategic land use planning or improved processes and systems, delivered by VPA staff and VPA appointed consultants.
For all enquiries, or to discuss your potential grant project and application, please contact:
Executive Assistant – Streamlining for Growth Project Support Officer
Telephone: (03) 8644 8818
Or email the Streamlining for Growth inbox at StreamliningforGrowth@vpa.vic.gov.au
- SfG Program Council Grants – Application Assessment Framework and Criteria (PDF)
- SfG Program – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Growth Area Councils Permit Assessment Health Check (Mesh) (PDF)
- VPA Business Plan 2021-2022 (PDF)
- SfG 2021-2022 Grant Program: Approved Projects (PDF)
- Plan Melbourne 2017-2050 (Web)
- Regional Growth Plans (Web)
- SfG – 2022-2023 VPA Grant Round – Metropolitan and Growth Area Councils Information Session – April 2022 (Video)
- SfG – 2022-23 VPA Grant Round – Regional Councils Information Session – April 2022 (Video)
- SfG 2022-2023 VPA PowerPoint Grants Information Session (PDF)